Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Apartheid's Legacy


( A picture of my family that I miss very much!)

I don’t make a habit of thinking about evil too much. But today I have thought about it quite a lot. You know satan doesn’t have too many tricks, just the same old material that we fall into.
Thinking about Apartheid and how just a few people thought of this horrible thing and it became a nationwide plague, for not only blacks but whites too. I think the evil that was inflicted on the blacks was also harmful to the whites inflicting it. What I mean is hearts were hardened and blinders made thicker, and humanity taken away from a whole race of people and. . . that is evil.
What’s worse is that even though the institution is gone, the results of it run so deep . . . I am not sure when everyone will be able to breathe easily the same air and be comfortable in their own skin.
Our group that is meeting on a Sunday night seems to be pretty unique and I am enjoying the time I get to be apart of the discussions, I am mostly just listening a lot and trying to learn and take it all in, and its great to feel like there is one place where I feel like we (T and I) are living out our call on our lives, our relationship.
But sometimes when stories of pain are shared or ignorances are revealed I shudder, and I suppose that is a natural response. But for someone who sometimes just wants things to be better . . now! . . . it is a very difficult place to sit.

My heart feels tender and I think that is where God wants it to be, but part of my reaction to that is to miss home, friends and family terribly, so here is a picture that I stare at when I get a chance to stare and pray.
Remembering the Love that conquers all,
Chrissy

2 comments:

Trevsa said...

Hello Friends,
Several have left comments about this entry on Trev's facebook, and I feel I need to clarify. I know that God is at work and doing more than what I can see, but I was really just processing the journey. To understand how bad it really is, is in the same breath to realize how much God has done and is doing. Praise God that he does conquer all!

Kelsey Swick said...

Hey friend, I loved your entry. It is beautifully and brutally honest. I think that is the most painful reality of being a visionary. You live in the tension between what is and what could be. One of the best Homilies I heard was one that talked about the dichotomy of perusing justice on earth, knowing that it will never be fully realized here, but still being called to chase after it.